“Annie”, a 31 year old patient, rushed to the emergency room three times over a year and a half period due to ovarian cysts becoming so large they suddenly ruptured and caused extreme pain. She came to Dr. Lonsdorf in hope of avoiding further painful instances.
Annie had been diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, a condition that affects as many as one in ten women. The symptoms can be severe and if left untreated can lead to infertility, long term hormonal imbalance, including acne, unwanted body hair, insulin resistance and painful cysts on the ovaries. Polycystic Ovary Syndrome includes three factors:
- Irregular periods
- Hormonal imbalances– which includes increased amounts of testosterone and testosterone-like effects such as acne, excess hair growth or hair loss
- Cysts on the ovaries– though not necessarily present
Dr. Lonsdorf explained that from a modern medical approach there is not much that can be done to prevent further cysts and ruptures. However, from an Ayurvedic approach, there is additional help for hormones and prevention of cysts through factors such as diet, herbs and lifestyle.
Important lifestyle changes include:
- Decreased carbohydrate and sugar consumption
- Increased fresh produce consumption (especially leafy greens)
- Drinking boiled hot water throughout the day (especially before and during the cycle)
- Regular elimination
- Good sleep and good exercise
Modern medicine is also recognizing the impact of diet on Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. The syndrome is considered a metabolic malady, so not only are the reproductive hormones out of balance, it’s been discovered that metabolism in general is out of balance. Treating these metabolism imbalances are just as important as the hormonal imbalances because women with the syndrome often have pre-diabetic signs of insulin resistance and have an increased risk of heart disease, diabetes and uterine cancer.
Check out Dr. Lonsdorf’s favorite supplements to balance women’s hormonal health:
- Rejuvenation for Ladies
- Smooth Cycle
- To enhance healthy elimination: Digest Tone
To hear the full talk by Dr. Nancy Lonsdorf, including the complete story of her patient’s recovery, watch the video here.
Check out two of Dr Lonsdorf’s favorite supplements for Women’s Heart Health:
- Stress Free Emotions – to protect your heart from anger, irritability and upset
- Cardio Support – general all -around support for cholesterol metabolism, emotional balance and heart function
For a Personal Wellness Session over Phone or Skype with Dr. Nancy Lonsdorf, schedule your Personal Wellness Session today.
The sole purpose of this video is to provide information about healthy lifestyle. This information is not intended for use in the diagnosis, treatment, cure or prevention of any disease. If you have any serious acute or chronic health concern, please consult your personal licensed health practitioner who can fully assess your needs and address them effectively.
Check with your doctor before taking herbs during pregnancy.